SMSMyBus exposes its data via a programming interface. This page describes that interface.
Terms of Service
This API is a personal project belonging to and is not
affiliated with the Madison Metro transit system in anyway. Problems, defects, and errors should be
reported to me - firstname.lastname@example.org
- and not
the Madison Metro staff.
Given the nature of the project, users of the API need to consider the following limitations:
- Reliability : This service still depends on the Metro's web services. If their services go down, so does this API. This
should be taken into consideration when as you consider reliability issues in your apps.
- There are no service gaurantees : This is a personal project that I do on the side. In the rare event that the
service goes down, I can't give any guarantees about when I can get it back up.
- The data could be wrong : I sure hope this isn't the case! However, I am interpreting the Metro system
as an outsider so it is possible that my representation does not match the current state of the Metro. Please report
any errors when you see them so I can get them addressed.
In the spirit of this project, I have very high expectations that programmers using this API are good Net Citizens.
- Abuse : If I find that you are abusing the system with excessive load/calls, I may decide to shutdown your application
- The Metro is our ally : Please consider this API and the apps that use it complimentary to the Madison Metro.
The Metro offers a terrific and reliable service for the citizens of Madison. Do not attempt to build applications
that attempt to disparage our friends. They too will start building apps on this API eventually so the best way
to encourage the use of open data systems is to be good community citizens and work together.
- Be creative! : Open data systems offer fantastic opportunities for creative people to share
ideas and tools with everyone. Reach for stars! Do something incredible and fun. All of us are waiting. :)
- Email me : Please tell me about your project. I'd love to help you spread the word.